The Degree in Geophysical Engineering creates the professional who, based on his knowledge of mathematics, physics, chemistry and geology, develops methods and techniques to explore our planet, to investigate and understand the physical phenomena that occur in it to study its behavior, find natural resources, or provide support for the creation of infrastructure works. Therefore, the task he/she carries out has repercussions in diverse fields, from the field of the extraction of minerals to the protection of the environment.
The student who decides to enter the Faculty of Engineering at UNAM, in addition to having studied and approved the subjects of the Physical-Mathematical Sciences Area, needs to have knowledge of mathematics in algebra, analytical geometry and differential and integral calculus of functions of one variable; he/she must also have a strong knowledge of physics, particularly in matters related to classical mechanics, as well as general knowledge of chemistry and computing. It is also desirable that you have knowledge of English, at least at the level of comprehension of texts. As far as skills and attitudes is concerned, it is important that you are willing to work in a team, have ability for analysis and synthesis, as well as for adapting to new situations, and have a creative spirit.
In what specifically refers to the Degree in Geophysical Engineering, in addition to covering the requirements described above, it is widely recommended that you have:
1. Ease for adapting to different situations and locations in different environments.
2. Curiosity and interest in knowing and understanding natural phenomena.
3. Interest in solving problems related to the phenomena of the Earth and its environment.
Graduates must possess capacities for innovation, potential to contribute to the creation of technologies and entrepreneurial attitude. They will have clear ideas about mathematical modeling of physical phenomena and optimization; they will be open to both continuous learning and interdisciplinarity. They must have solid knowledge of their language with oral and written communication skills as well as another language, preferably English; must have social sensitivity and professional ethics, as well as potential and vocation to become a factor of change.Specific
The graduate in Geophysical Engineering will be able to understand and apply efficiently the concepts of geology, physics and mathematics, as well as to know basic concepts of other related disciplines to understand and develop the theories and techniques used in his field of work.
In terms of knowledge, the graduates in Geophysical Engineering will:
1. Master the fundamental concepts of geology, physics and mathematics, common in engineering.
2. Have deep knowledge of advanced geology, physics and mathematics, which ere the basis of geophysical methods.
3. Possess the fundamental knowledge for the design, acquisition, processing and interpretation of data derived from geophysical studies applied to engineering problems.
4. Have a humanistic training that allows him/her to practice geophysical engineering with social responsibility.
5. Have up-to-date computer and programming skills, focused on digital processing of geophysical data.
The skills and aptitudes that the graduates in Geophysical Engineering must have are:
1. Expertise in the management of precision geophysical instruments, based on their physical principles of measurement.
2. Capacity to design, plan and implement geophysical studies.
3. Dexterity in the application and development of computational sciences, to optimize the processes related to their professional activity.
4. Ability for decision making.
5. Ability to integrate, coordinate, organize and participate in multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary working groups, focused on the realization of projects in Earth Sciences.
6. Ability to apply their knowledge to the identification of geophysical variations related to the composition and structure of the Earth and its environment.
Finally, in terms of attitudes, the graduates in Geophysical Engineering will be able to:
1. Show willingness to acquire new knowledge, both in their own disciplines and in those complementary to their profession.
2. Link with other colleagues to give a union sense to the exercise of their profession, in order to generate diverse benefits to the community in which they are developing.
3. Link with other guilds to encourage multidisciplinary work.
4. Share their knowledge and skills.
5. Listen and address those issues that are within their competence.
The Geophysical Engineer is the Earth scientist, responsible for the design, acquisition, processing and analyzing information on physical phenomena of the Earth and its environment, for its application in exploration and exploitation of the natural resources of the subsoil, in geotechnical studies, environmental, archaeological and atmospheric, in federal, state and private related agencies.
They exercise their profession with strict adherence to the norms of industrial safety and environmental protection, among others.
They provide their professional services to the community through their participation in committees, associations, schools, among others.
Because one of the possible professional activities is the prevention of damages caused by natural phenomena, this professional can intervene in government agencies of civil protection at any level of government, both in communities that could be affected by such phenomena, and in the implementation of measures tending to protect the population, infrastructure and natural resources.
Teaching represents a job option of great importance because, due to the complete training of the geophysical engineer, his knowledge and experience are demanded in public and private institutions of middle and higher education.
With respect to research activities, they may participate in the various research centers in Earth sciences, or after conducting graduate studies, engage in research in geophysics or related subjects.
It should be noted that the labor market is promising, as the country requires professionals who, like the geophysical engineer, have the capacity to effectively perform the exploration and exploitation of the Earth and its environment.