The aim of Mechatronics Engineering is to train high-level professionals capable of working across the boundaries of component disciplines (mechanical engineering, electronic engineering, and computer science / information technology) to identify and use the right combination of technologies, such as precision mechanics, control and computing systems that provide the optimal solution to the development of autonomous, programmable and intelligent products, processes and systems.
The application for admission to the Mechatronics Engineering degree must be made the second, third or fourth semester, counting from the time of admission to the original degree. Students will be selected by the admission committee to the degree at the end of the semester in which they applied, according to the selection criteria.
• Be a student of the Faculty of Engineering at UNAM when applying for admission.
• Students enrolled in the degrees of Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Computer Engineering and Electrical and Electronic Engineering may enroll.
• Have covered in full the credits of the first two semesters of the curricula for the degree in which he/she is enrolled.
• Have obtained a minimum average of 8.0, preferably.
• Submit a written application for admission to Mechatronics Engineering. This application will be turned to the head of the Division of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
• Be accepted by a career admissions committee, who will evaluate the request according to the applicant's possible academic performance. If deemed appropriate, the committee may request applicants to interview them.
• The admissions committee will monitor the compliance with all entry requirements.
In case of being accepted, the entry will become effective as of the semester immediately following the semester during which he/she applied. For the subjects that students have completed before applying to Mechatronics Engineering, the revalidation will be automatic only in those subjects approved that are common (in name and key) to both plans, in other cases the Coordinator of the Mechatronics Engineering Career will establish the equivalences between the subjects.
The admission to Mechatronics Engineering will not be considered as the career change provided for in Article 20 of the General Registries Regulations.
Taken from the document "Project to modify the curriculum of the degree in Mechatronics Engineering", approved by the Technical Council of the Faculty of Engineering on June 20, 2014.
Important note: The curriculum of the Mechatronics Engineering career is in the process of being approved by the Academic Council of the Area of Physical-Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CAACFMI). January 2015.
The student interested in entering the Degree in Mechatronics Engineering, in the Faculty of Engineering at UNAM, must initially enter one of the following degrees: Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Electrical and Electronics Engineering. To do so, he must be a graduate of the National Preparatory School, the College of Sciences and Humanities, or other preparatory education programs. It is necessary that you have completed the area of Physical-Mathematical Sciences or the set of subjects related to these fields of knowledge in different preparatory programs.
After completing the first two semesters of the degree of origin, the student should have the following knowledge, skills and attitudes: solid knowledge of mathematics in algebra, analytical geometry and differential and integral calculus of functions of one variable; he must also have knowledge of physics, particularly in matters related to classical mechanics, electricity, magnetism as well as general knowledge of chemistry and computing.
It is also desirable that the student has knowledge of English, at least at the level of comprehension of texts. In terms of skills, it is important that you are willing to work in a team, have ability for analysis and synthesis, and adapt to new situations as well as having a creative spirit.
The graduates of the Faculty of Engineering should possess: capacities for innovation, potential to contribute to the creation of technologies and entrepreneurial attitude. You will have clear ideas about mathematical modeling of physical phenomena and optimization, you will be open to both continuous learning and interdisciplinarity. Students must have solid knowledge of their language with oral and written communication skills, and of another language, preferably English, at least at the level of reading comprehension; they must have social sensitivity and professional ethics, with potential and vocation to become a factor of change.Specific:
At the end of his professional training, the graduate of Mechatronics Engineering will have the following knowledge, skills and attitudes:
• Solid training in physics and mathematics.
• Mastery of the fundamental concepts of mechanics, electronics, control and computing.
• Broad-spectrum knowledge in the various branches of mechatronics, which will enable the graduate to participate successfully and adapt to changes in technologies in this field and, if appropriate, generate them.
Skills and abilities:
• Evaluate and select the equipment necessary to integrate the disciplines of mechatronics taking into account ecological, social and economic aspects.
• Model, simulate and interpret the behavior of mechatronic systems.
• Develop, operate and maintain productive processes that involve the transformation of matter, energy and information.
• Design, build, operate and maintain mechatronic systems and their components.
• Create, innovate or evaluate technologies related to mechatronics.
• Integrate and coordinate people and interdisciplinary groups.
• Participate in research programs and graduate studies.
• Evaluate the cost-benefit ratio of mechatronics products and systems.
• Obtain information about the technological situation of companies in our country and the perspectives that might present in the future.
• Create with a business attitude new sources of employment.
• Be creative and innovative.
• Have an entrepreneurial and leadership attitude.
• Have confidence in your academic preparation.
• Have an open mind oriented toward solving engineering problems.
• Be honest, responsible and critical.
• Committed to staying up to date and develop professional competencies.
Of social type:
• Be aware of the national problems based on the knowledge of the reality of the country and its interrelationship with the globalized world, with a humanist attitude of service to society.
• Maintain professional ethics.
• Promote the change in mentality, in the face of international competitiveness.
• Apply aspects of sustainable development in the design and implementation of mechatronic products and processes.
The Mechatronics Engineer is the professional that integrates the knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences with the engineering sciences in the areas of control, electronics, mechanics and computing to develop his professional activity in the areas of application in mechatronics design, industrial control, industrial automation and robotics, both in the public and private sectors and at an entrepreneur level.